Thursday, May 19, 2011

Crazy Neighbor

  • So, right before I moved into my new apartment I turned 21. It just so happened on a Friday, so I took a four day weekend, much of which was a blur. I went to Milwaukee for one night to visit a body piercer who I was dating, and that ended with disaster. I went back to Appleton and spent the rest of the weekend with a few friends getting blitzed.

    9 days after I turned 21 I got my first OWI after driving someone home from a bar.I told myself it was bad luck.  I didn't even go to jail. I went to a hospital for a blood test, car was impounded, and I was released to a friend of mine. Got the car out the next day and went on my merry way. The only people that knew to start with were my brother and his wife.

    Anyway, I moved into my apartment. I was also looking for a new job. I was working at a salon that was run like a Nazi boot camp and also at a grocery store a few times a week. Shortly after I had moved in I managed to get a job at another salon which paid better and was better all around. I thought maybe this would resolve some of my issues in life.

    I also got lonely for a pet so I got my cat Trouble as a kitten out in Greenville from a coworker of mine.I still have her, and if she could talk I imagine she'd have some stories to tell. I liked living by myself, but I was lonely. I had few friends, and lets face it, I wasn't really happy with them. All we did was use.

    A few months after living in my apartment we had a nasty ice storm in Appleton and a transformer in the area blew. The manager of the apartment came to my door and introduced himself and asked if I was okay, and had a flashlight and whatever I needed. He also said he lived alone, and seemed very kind. He was a little older, and at first it seemed like perhaps he needed a friend.

    I being delightfully naïve deicded to make friends with him. He liked to cook so I went up for dinner. He also liked to drink, and always had plenty of alcohol, and on occasion other drugs. Not too long after we became friends he expressed that he wanted more. I told him we could only be friends and that was all. Then weird things began to happen.

    I had another neighbor who wasn't crazy I was friends with. Any time I hung around with the non-crazy neighbor the nutty neighbor would try and make trouble with the non-nutty guys probation officer. Nothing ever became of it. He also started trouble with another friends employer. Called and said all the guy did was use and made a bad name for company. (It was true, but you don't need to mess with someones career.)

    I went through 4 cell phones. Mine would mysteriously disappear. Since he was the manager to the apartment building he did have a set of keys to my place. Another time my cold water was shut off. I went to the basement, and he turned the wrong valve. I think he was trying to shut off my hot water. (Never accused him of being smart.) I was also missing random atricles of clothing from time to time.

    The lady that lived next to me bartended down the street, and said she had issues with him from time to time. One day she came and knocked to inform me that my bedroom screen was laying on the ground. There was no way that fell, or blew out. I began sleeping with a 9" chefs knife in my head board. I was constantly afraid he was lurking somewhere nearby. I was courteous when I saw him, but didn't spend time with him anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment